Saturday, May 16, 2015

Danger of Ingestion of Essential Oils and the fleecing by MLM companies

My Point of View

I use essential oils in my life. I am a believer. My favorite thing to do is to turn on the diffuser in my bedroom mid afternoon with lavender essential oil and my the time my husband and I turn in our room is a relaxing, pleasantly scented oasis. We sleep better and enjoy the scent. I like knowing it is not full of other 'junk' that lurks in commercial air fresheners or candles. I have tremendous respect for essential oils and have taken baby steps in incorporating them into my life. I have a lot to learn about them. I am most excited about essential oils is making my own bath and beauty products. I enjoy a wonderful sandalwood scented bath using a packet I purchased at my health food store. The thrifty woman in me knows I can totally make that. I know I can. :) 

I've been able to manage illnesses, my migraines, anxiety by diffusing and using in a carrier oil at the proper dilution rates. I take care avoid a list of EOs for my child as they are cautioned against use in children under 12. I never ingest or take EOs orally. The fad of MLM companies suggesting ingestion is to increase sales for their vastly overpriced oils makes me see red. Taking advantage of others does not set well with me, especially when injecting a religious slant to it.
Ingestion is not supported by Certified Aroma Therapists for casual or prophylactic use. Ingestion is used rarely and then only under the very close supervision of a well experienced aromatherapist or herbalist, not a zealous sales rep. Ingestion also increases the usage of the oil, so that the oiler purchases more.

I have major concerns about ingestion and liver damage-- improper topical usage, improper usage on children. I worry that we will see unexplained illness and liver damage soon, as the growing number of oilers are drinking EOs daily or taking them in non-enteric coated capsules on the advice of a sales rep

The potential for interactions with other prescription drugs, personal reactions, and improper use seems high. Please use common sense and caution. These oils are wonderful, but are only *part* of a natural medicine cabinet and should not be your first or only go to for treatment. My small bottles of oil last my family a very long time (up to and over a year) and I am stunned how some families use EOs for every moment of their day and how much of their monthly budget is spent on MLM Oils. Please keep in mind it *IS* MLM--- that means you are definitely paying a mark up, so that all the levels in the pyramid (team, unit, downline) get their cut, how else are folks using this as a second income? You can purchase sources of EOs that are pure and undiluted for a fraction of the price--- and are Therapeutic Grade (that is a made up term FYI) it's mumbo jumbo, there is no classification of grades for oils. It is jargon that the Sales Rep gives to prevent their customers from sources oils from a cheaper source.

Please consider reading the article linked here--- I know there are some wonderful things about some of the MLM oil companies, but because of the price gouging and irresponsible and dangerous ingestion and topical application advice that is given by the Reps, the blogs they write, and the memes on social media I cannot even consider supporting them. There is a reason those involved with MLMs make money from the their 'customers', they are fleecing them, taking advantage of their desperation to find a natural solution for what ails them and the people they love. Selling them overpriced products while instructing them on methods to over-use them to ensure they purchase more is a perfected sales scheme. I am sure these companies may have some wonderful products but it is overshadowed by their crummy business practices and dangerous advice on usage. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment